The Cotton House (c. 1840)

Vintage Postcard provided by CardCow.com
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
 44.473114,-88.030465
Google Map

The Cotton House was added in 1970 to the
National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin (#70000026)

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Architectural Style: Greek Revival
Area of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1825-1849
Owner: Private
Historic Function: Domestic
Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
Current Function: Recreation And Culture
Current Sub-function: Museum

The Cotton House is located on the grounds of Heritage Hill State Historical Park, at 2640 South Webster Avenue, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.

NOTE: A membership or daily use fee is required to enter Heritage Hill State Historical Park.


The Cotton House was built in the 1840s and was originally located at the corner of Beaupre and Webster Avenue.[2] It was built by John Cotton and stayed in his family until 1893 when it was sold to J. W. Woodruff. Woodruff lived there until 1896, when he sold it to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, who used it as an orphanage until 1933. In 1938, the Brown County Historical Society began moving the house to its current location. The house has served as a museum since 1941.
The foregoing text available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.

Vintage Postcard provided by CardCow.com
THE COTTON HOUSE - Fine example of early American home and pure Jeffersonian architecture. Built about 1840 by Capt. John Winslow Cotton, a Green Bay pioneer.

No comments:

Post a Comment