Paperjack Creek

© Photographed July 13, 2015
Erected in part by Wisconsin Department of Tourism
New Richmond, St. Croix County, Wisconsin
 45° 6.653′ N, 92° 32.14′ W
Google Map

PAPERJACK CREEK
By 1855, Paperjack Creek and the nearby Willow River had each attracted a few settlers. A rivalry developed between settlements but was resolved in 1858 when the village was platted at the Willow River site. It is thought that the unusual name for this creek came from an early settler, a rag dealer who lived on the banks of the creek. In those times a rag dealer was called a “paperjack”. The greenway served as a cow pasture through most of the 1900’s and now features native plantings and trails. The 1910 photograph shows Dr. Frank Epley’s trout ponds that were northwest of this site on his hobby dairy farm, The Willows.

This is one of many interpretive signs in the Rivers, Rails & Trails Heritage Area, a project funded in part by a Heritage Tourism grant from the Wisconsin Department of Tourism.
The marker is located at the New Richmond Heritage Center at 1100 Heritage Drive, New Richmond, Wisconsin 54017. 





 The marker is next to the windmill.

 The marker is visible between the granary and the windmill.

The marker is located at the New Richmond Heritage Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment