MARKER PHOTO NEEDEDClick here for information on how to submit your photos
Erected 2003 by the Lorenz families
Stoddard, La Crosse County, Wisconsin
43° 43.674′ N, 91° 9.085′ W
GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL
OF CHIPMUNK COULEE
In the mid 1800's immigrants from Bohemia and Germany began to settle the Chipmunk Coulee area. Some of the early settlers were the Belling, Bendel, Hiekel, Herold, Kunerth, Lorenz, Meyer, Neumann, Paudler, Preidel, Ringel, Ritschel, Starch, Tietze and Werner families.
In 1862 a log cabin "mission church" was built and the cemetery was established. In 1875 a second church was built within the cemetery. In 1903 a third church was built on this site and services were held until about 1940. The church was razed shortly thereafter.
The bell from this church now rings at Asbury United Methodist Church in La Crosse.The marker is located on eastbound North Chipmunk Road, east of its intersection with County Highway K, directly across the roadway from the Chipmunk Coulee Cemetery, at or near 5126 North Chipmunk Road, Stoddard, Wisconsin 54658.
La Crosse Public Library: Chipmunk Coulee / Salzer German Methodist Church
Find A Grave: Chipmunk Coulee Cemetery