Wesel Iron Handpress

Photographed December 19, 2014
Erected by Discovery Paper Center
Donated 2008 by Matt Coenen
Appleton, Outagamie County, Wisconsin
44.254848,-88.411526

Wesel Iron Handpress
The Wesel iron handpress was manufactured by the  F. Wesel Manufacturing Company of  Brooklyn, New York in the approximate year of 1900. It was used for single sheet letterpress printing. The first printing handpress was used by Gutenberg in 1448. These presses were made of wood until the early 1800s when they were replaced by iron printing handpresses. The handpress printers were in common use until the 1850s when they were mostly replaced by machine presses. The iron handpresses were used as proofing presses into the 1900s. Currently a small number of these presses are used for specialty printing purposes. This press was donated to the Paper Discovery Center by Matt Coenen in 2008.
The marker and refiner are located at the entrance to the Paper Discovery Center, located at 425 West Water Street, Appleton, Wisconsin 54911.

Home of the Paper Industry International Hall of Fame

The Paper Discovery Center in Appleton is open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Sundays and Holidays. Members - Free | Adults - $5.00 | Seniors - $4.00 | Students - $3.00 | Families - $12.00.

These are links to more markers / exhibits at the Paper Discovery Center in Appleton:




This related posted is part of an exhibit inside the Paper Discovery Center.

The Wesel Iron Handpress is at the entrance to the
Paper Discovery Center in Appleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment