Town of Vernon

Photographed December 11, 2014
Erected 1998 by Big Bend / Vernon Historical Society and
Waukesha County Historical Society
Vernon, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
42° 52.93′ N, 88° 14.868′ W

TOWN OF VERNON
Prior to settlement the Town of Vernon was composed of sugar maple & white oak forests, savanna & marsh from which the Potawatomi derived food, medicine, shelter, tools & fibers.

On Nov. 1, 1836 Prucius Putnam, John Dodge & brothers Curtis & Orien Haseltine, Jr. arrived from Vermont, & built a log hut near present day Hwy L & Maple Ave. They named the area “Vernon”.

Arriving settlers consisted of Scots, Germans, Irish & Norwegians, primarily coming from Vermont & New York.

The prairie soil was turned under for farming. The maples were tapped for sugar and used, along with the oak & black walnut, to build houses and plank roads. Allen Haseltine was the first settler child born here in 1838.

A highly crafted cobblestone home was erected in 1842.

The Vernon Reformed Presbyterian Church arose in 1854. In 1857 the Waukesha County Poor House began its 40 years of service by accepting an abandoned child. In 1896 various churches, grocery stores, 7 cemeteries & 6 post offices had been established in Vernon.
The marker is located adjacent to the parking lot at Vernon Town Hall, located on northbound Center Drive, south of its intersection with Edgewood Avenue, at W249 8910 Center Drive, Big Bend, Wisconsin 53103.


See also, Town of Vernon Veterans Memorial, also at this location.

See also, Haseltine Cobblestone Home 1842, regarding the referenced "highly crafted cobblestone home", at a nearby location.

The marker is No. 31-04 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.


The marker is adjacent to the parking lot.

At the entrance to the Vernon Town Hall property.

No comments:

Post a Comment