The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon

 Photographed December 11, 2014
Erected 2007 by Waukesha County Historical Society
 Big Bend (Town of Vernon), Waukesha County, Wisconsin
42° 54.924′ N, 88° 13.137′ W

THE REFORMED
PRESBYTERIAN
CHURCH OF VERNON

COVENANTER BUILT
IN 1854
Organized by Scottish settlers in October, 1848 with Rev. James Milligan at the home of James Wright Sr.

The last regular services were held in 1920.

This was the only Covenanter church ever formed in Wisconsin.
The marker is located on the grounds of the Vernon United Presbyterian Church, located on northbound Big Bend Drive, just north of its intersection with National Avenue / County Road ES, at W236S7050 Big Bend Drive, West Bend, Wisconsin 53103.

The Covenanters were a Scottish Presbyterian movement that played an important part in the history of Scotland, and to a lesser extent that of England and Ireland, during the 17th century. Presbyterian denominations tracing their history to the Covenanters and often incorporating the name continue the ideas and traditions in Scotland and internationally.
This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.

The marker is No. 31-03 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.




English: Oil on canvas, 69 x 89.5 cm
Collection: The University of Edinburgh Fine Art Collection
An "outed" minister in his black frock and white necktie preaches
to a large group of countryfolk congregating at the mouth of a cave.
Date c. 1800
Author Alexander Carse






One of the cemeteries more elaborate headstones.

The marker is very easy to locate and access.

No comments:

Post a Comment