Photographed December 28, 2014
Rededicated July, 2001 by Waukesha County Historical Society and Museum
Genesee (Waukesha), Waukesha County, Wisconsin
42° 56.905′ N, 88° 19.346′ W
Named for Stephen Sayles and his four sons (Asa, Donerson, Whitman and Mortimer) and daughter Juliana, who settled here in 1839.
First settler was Alexander Rankin in 1837. Others were Scotsman Alexander McFarlane 1840, woodworker and farmer; Yankee Adam Schultis 1841, farmer; German David Orendorf 1841, miller; Scotsman William Johnston 1842, quarryman; Englishman William Brown 1849, blacksmith; Yankee Ed Gernon 1854, farmer and state senator.
Mill: Built in 1841, burned and rebuilt in 1887. First a flour and later a grist mill.
Schools: First one built of grout opposite cemetery in 1847. Second one, to the east, built in 1896.
Community Hall: Built in 1890 for Sunday School use. In 1915 it became a community hall. Used for many purposes including weddings and funerals. Dances and card parties were banned.
Other early buildings were a creamery 1847, blacksmith's shop 1849, cobbler's shop and general store.
April 11, 2003, the Saylesville Historic District was entered in the National & State Registers of Historic Places.
The marker is located on westbound Saylesville Road / County Highway X, between Ridgefield Road (to the west) and Rockwood Trail (to the east), at S52 W28794 Saylesville Road, Waukesha, Wisconsin 53189.
National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin
Wisconsin State Register of Historic Places
Wisconsin Historical Society: State and Architecture Inventory
S52 W28794 Saylesville Road, Waukesha County, Genesee, Wisconsin
Historic Name: Saylesville Mill
Reference No.: 7406
Architectural Style: Astylistic Utilitarian Building
Wall Material: Clapboard
National/State Register Listing Name: Saylesville Historic District
The foregoing content used with permission of the Wisconsin Historical Society.Additional Information:
The original Saylesville Mill was built in 1841 by Mortimer Sayles, the brother of Whitman. In 1887 a fire destroyed the mill and a new mill was constructed on the same site. According to the Atlases of Waukesha Cournty, the mill served as a saw mill, a grist mill , and a flouring mill. The mill operated well into the twentieth century, closing after WWII.
All of the windows were replaced in 1996 with custom windows that match the original in style.
This marker is No. 20-01 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
There's plenty of parking in front of the fence,
and a nice-sized roadway turnoff.