New Berlin Hills Golf Course

Photographed December 11, 2014
Erected 2007 by Waukesha County Historical Museum
New Berlin, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 0.278′ N, 88° 4.664′ W

NEW BERLIN HILLS
GOLF COURSE
Founded on 1905 as the Woodmont Country Club, owners Oscar Greenwald, Dr. Patek, and Joseph Landaur purchased its original 40 acres in 1907 forming a nine-hole course and a members-only club. Membership declined and the course was sold January 5, 1943 to John Schunk, John Wimmer and Cy Shabaz who operated it as Lincoln Hills.

In 1954, the President of Allis-Chalmers Mfg. Co. purchased the course. Upon his death, the company named the course after him W.A. Roberts Golf Course. In 1977, Allis Chalmers leased the course for operation as a public golf course.

In December, 1978, the City of New Berlin purchased the course and renamed it New Berlin Hills Golf Course. In 1999, a new clubhouse and food & beverage service was added.

In 2007, New Berlin Hills celebrated 100 years and is one of the oldest golf courses in the state of Wisconsin.
The marker is located adjacent to the parking lot at the New Berlin Hills Golf Course, located at 13175 West Gresham Street, New Berlin, Wisconsin 53151.

NOTE: The entrance to the golf course is on eastbound West Graham Street. Where it intersects with South Elm Grove Road is a driveway that leads to the parking lot where the marker is located. Why is the address of the golf course on West Graham Street when the entire facility is on South Elm Grove Road? Welcome to Wisconsin!



This marker is No.21-07 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.



The  marker is visible to the right of the tree, alongside the hedge.


At the entrance to the golf course -- the intersection of West Graham Street
and South Elm Grove Road. Follow South Elm Grove Road to the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment