Muskego, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
MILL VALLEY ONE-ROOM SCHOOL
The first schoolhouse in Prattsburgh was a temporary building put up in 1839, and was later used as a home for one of the new settlers until he could build his own home. In 1842 a new log school building was built with voluntary subscriptions at what is now a half mile south of Highway 24 on Tess Corners Drive. Twenty-five pupils were enrolled. At the first recorded school meeting on September 21, 1858, it was decided to raise $300 to build a new schoolhouse on the north site of the Janesville Plant Road on the east side of the toll gate and near the east end of the garden patch. The garden patch became a cemetery and west end of the parking lot of Muskego Beach.By 1867, it was required that the teacher had to be at school at least 35 minutes earlier to start the fire stove. A school year consisted of 8 months, 4 in winter and 4 in summer. A male was hired to teach in winter, a female in summer.Muskego School bought its first flag in 1889, its first bell in 1900. In 1904 its first Christmas and spring vacations, one week each, were enjoyed. In 1918 slates in the classroom were replaced by paper and pencil.The school house was used as a social center by townspeople. After a business meeting, they usually held a dance, and a lunch was served. Many times a play was put on, or a home talent show was given. Debates were also staged.There were eight one-room schools in Muskego, and they combined to have one eighth grade graduation ceremony each spring in Town Hall.
Mill Valley One-Room School is located at Old Muskego Settlement Center on northbound Racine Avenue / County Highway Y, north of its V-intersection with Pioneer Drive, at or near W184S8074 Racine Avenue, Muskego, Wisconsin 53150.
The property is operated by the Muskego Historical Society.
Click here to view all markers / memorials at Old Muskego Settlement Center.
The marker is located at Old Muskego Settlement Centre.
The marker is located in Muskego, Wisconsin.