Erected 1966/1972/2001 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Muskego, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
42° 52.356′ N, 88° 4.34′ W
LUTHER PARKER CEMETERY
Dedicated to Muskego’s most illustrious pioneer and first European settler, Luther Parker, who brought his wife Alletta and five children to Muskego by horse and wagon in 1836. Luther Parker was one of several responsible for secession of Waukesha County from Milwaukee County in 1846 and served in the Wisconsin Legislature and the early Waukesha County Board. Mr. and Mrs. Parker were buried in the northwest corner of this cemetery. This cemetery, formerly called Durham Hill, was given to his earliest English neighbors by Levi Guild.The pioneer settlers of Muskego who settled in the Durham Hill area buried their dead among the native wildflowers and prairie grasses of this site. In order to keep this native prairie hearty and suppress woody plants and invasive species, controlled burns are used on an infrequent basis. This cemetery site is officially recognized as a natural area. Please do not mow or otherwise damage the vegetation in respect for the natural setting in which the settlers buried their loved ones.Gravestones are most easily observed in late April and May, after the Spring burning.This cemetery is owned and operated under the City of Muskego, Parks & Recreation Department.
Luther Parker Cemetery is located southbound South North Cape Road / County Road OO, at its intersection with eastbound Ryan Road, Muskego, Wisconsin 53150.
The marker is No. 19-01 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
The "native prairie" cemetery . . .
Looking north up County Road OO.
The marker is located in Muskego, Wisconsin.