Haseltine Cobblestone Home 1842

Photographed December 11, 2014
Erected 1998 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Owned and Funded by Michael and Shelby Kroll
Big Bend, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
42° 53.624′ N, 88° 12.549′ W
Google Map

HASELTINE
COBBLESTONE HOME
1842
Colonel Orien Haseltine, of Andover, Vermont, came to Vernon/Big Bend in 1836, following his two eldest sons, Orien Jr. and Curtis who came in 1836, first settlers claiming 400 acres. Vernon was named by Haseltine in honor of George Washington’s home, Mount Vernon. This Cobblestone home, with over 10,000 cobblestones, was completed in 1842. Of Haseltine’s 14 children, daughters Emeline married Prucius Putnam 1838, Achsah married Joseph Stickney 1840 and Hannah married Timothy Brown 1844 (all first settlers in Vernon).
The marker is located on westbound Artesian Avenue, at its intersection with southbound Big Bend Drive / Wisconsin Highway 164, at W230 S8235 Big Bend Drive, Big Bend, Wisconsin 53103.

NOTE: The facade of the house faces Big Bend Drive (see photos below). The driveway to the house is located on Artesian Avenue (see photos below). This may sound confusing, but the marker is actually very easy to locate and access.

The Milwaukee Journal (December 27, 1984): History fills cobblestone home

The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin: Waukesha County.

The marker is No. 01-01 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.


 The marker is at the Artesian Avenue entrance to the property.



 Details of the cobblestone craftsmanship.

 The facade faces Big Bend Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment