Photographed December 11, 2014
Erected 2003 by Waukesha County Historical Society
New Berlin, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 0.614′ N, 88° 7.642′ W
The marker is located on southbound South Calhoun Road, at its intersection with the New Berlin Trail, between Roosevelt Avenue (to the north) and West Rogers Drive (to the south), New Berlin, Wisconsin 53146.The arrival of the first trains through Calhoun on the Chicago and Northwestern railroad occurred in 1881. Milk, grain, sugar, beets, cattle, farm produce and hops went out on the trains, and brewers grains saloonkeepers, supplies, farms, machinery and mail came in. Mail was delivered by horse and rig to the depot at the Calhoun Station. The closing of the TM, nickname for the interurban railway service, provided by the Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Co now a bike path, and the decline of the railroad changed the early hamlet of Calhoun forever. Yet, the two old taverns, Calhoun Hall and Elger’s store, still stand on either side of the railroad tracks as they have for more than 100 years. Trains still pass by occasionally at noon. These markers pay tribute to the significance of the corner Calhoun settlement.
This marker is No. 21-01 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
See also, Hamlet of Calhoun, also at this location.
The maker is alongside the New Berlin Trail.