Bailey-Cass Curtis (1874)

Marker Photos Needed! Can You Help?
Click here for information on how to submit your photos.

The City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission has erected a number of "Historic Building" markers. These are small, silver metal markers a top a brown wooded 2x4 post, mounted on a wooden backing that is covered with a wooden "roof", and are part of a comprehensive Historic Preservation Plan to "preserve and enhance the cultural and historic resources within the City of Eau Claire." The markers are placed in front of the significant building / site.  Click here for an example of the marker and its placement.

Marker Location:

Erected 1978 by City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission
Eau Claire, Eau Claire County, Wisconsin
44.801702,-91.491385

The marker is located on eastbound Gilbert Avenue, between Wilson Street (to the west) and South Farwell Street (to the east), at 415 Gilbert Street, Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54701.

Marker Inscription:

BAILEY-CASS
CURTIS

Historic Home
Built in 1874 by William H. Bailey, this home is representative of Late 19th Century Mid-Western Farm style. Mr. & Mrs. Josiah E. Cass purchased the home in 1886. Present Owners are Mr. & Mrs. Douglas Curtis.
Approved March Nine
Nineteen Hundred and Seventy-Eight

City of Eau Claire: Landmark Commission: William Bailey House

Wisconsin Historical Society: Architecture and History Inventory
415 Gilbert Avenue, Eau Claire County, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Historic Name: William H. Bailey House
Other Name: Kathleen M. Lee House
Reference No. 41277
Additional InformationThis basic L-shaped frame (it was originally clapboard sided) dwelling is distinguished by a bay window and a small ornamented entrance porch. The foundation is made of concrete, the exterior walls are covered in asbestos and the roof is composed of asphalt shingles. The main facade is orientated to the North. This two story residence is in good condition.

Previous owners include the following: William H. Bailey from 1874 to 1876; J. Cass, from 1886 to 1947; and D. Curtis, from 1951 to an unspecified date. In 1981, the current owner of this dwelling was Gwendlyn Curtis.

HISTORICAL STATEMENT:

William H. Bailey, a painter, constructed this home, one of the oldest in the historic district, in 1874. Josiah and Katherine Cass purchased the property in 1886. Mr. Cass was a druggist and the last veteran of the Civil War in the county. He also helped organize the Grand Opera House Company in Eau Claire. Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Curtis were the next to own the house in 1951.
The foregoing content used with generous permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment