Atlas Mill

Photographed December 19, 2014
Erected by Discovery Paper Center
Appleton, Outagamie County, Wisconsin
44.254848,-88.411526
Google Map

ATLAS MILL
"The foundations of this building are being laid with the intention that they will serve the interests of coming generations, and this object in view is a sign of real progress."
The Appleton Post 1878. 
This exhibit is on display at the Paper Discovery Center, located at 425 West Water Street, Appleton, Wisconsin 54911.

Home of the Paper Industry International Hall of Fame

The Paper Discovery Center in Appleton is open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Sundays and Holidays. Members - Free | Adults - $5.00 | Seniors - $4.00 | Students - $3.00 | Families - $12.00.

Hearthstone Historic House Museum: Our Place In History (includes area papermill history)

These are links to more markers / exhibits at the Paper Discovery Center in Appleton:

Architecturally, the Atlas Mill represents a typical 19th century paper mill. Its design is utilitarian and structurally very sound. Solid concrete and stone, the building can sustain heavy, vibrating loads. In 1878, the mill was a single structure that housed three paper machines. Throughout the 20th century, the building evolved as a reflection of the changing operations at the mill.

The story of the Atlas Mill is one of innovation and evolution.
Pioneering papermakers, using new technologies and methods, ensured the mill would always have a purpose in the paper industry. Although the Atlas Mill ceased operation in 2000, the Paper Discovery Center opens a new chapter of education and learning for this landmark.
1956 The decision was made to convert the mill into a pilot plant for Research and Development. The mill had the first SRM (Scrim Reinforced Materials) machine in the country. Continuously moving bobbins of nylon thread created tough nylon nets in a crosshatch pattern that were laminated to layers of tissue. This very significant invention of material and of the "cross-laying process" resulted in the production of KAYCEL® fabric for hospital gowns and other products.
1907 The Atlas Mill became part of Kimberly-Clark Company. Two years later Kimberly-Clark Company constructed Vulcan Hydroelectric Power Plant near the mill on the site of the former Vulcan Paper Mall to provide power to its mills, particularly the Kimberly and Atlas mills.

Atlas Mill in 1915. The Vulcan Hydroelectric Power Plant is in the foreground.
1878 Founders of Kimberly, Clark & Co. (later known as Kimberly-Clark Corporation) and investors from Minnesota opened the Atlas Paper Company on the site of a former sawmill. The mill consisted of a single building that housed three paper machines.
Atlas Paper Company circa 1878. The 439 foot long wooden bridge behind the mill in the photo leads to the Atlas Pulp Mill.
1878-1879 During its first year, the mill employed 30 men. It was the first mill to make paper using mostly ground or mechanical wood pulp instead of jute pulp.
The paper machines in the Atlas Paper Company circa late 1800s.
 The exhibit is located at the Paper Discovery Center in Appleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment