Addison Cutter House (1885-1889)

Marker Photos Needed! Can You Help?
Click here for information on how to submit your photos.

The City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission has erected a number of "Historic Building" markers. These are small, silver metal markers a top a brown wooded 2x4 post, mounted on a wooden backing that is covered with a wooden "roof", and are part of a comprehensive Historic Preservation Plan to "preserve and enhance the cultural and historic resources within the City of Eau Claire." The markers are placed in front of the significant building / site.  Click here for an example of the marker and its placement.

Marker Location:
Erected 1981 by City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission
Eau Claire, Eau Claire County, Wisconsin
44.80198,-91.495112

The marker is located on southbound State Street, between Gilbert Avenue (to the north) and Oakwood Place (to the south), at 1302 State Street, Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54701.

Marker Inscription:

ADDISON CUTTER HOME
1302 STATE STREET
 
Historic Building
This house was built in 1885-1889 by Addison Cutter, owner of a shoe and boot factory. It is of Queen Anne style reminiscent of 18th century England and Classical Revival architecture.
Designated July Twenty-Two
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-One

City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission: Addison Cutter House

Wisconsin Historical Society: Architecture and History Inventory: 1302 State St 
Historic Name: Belle and Adison A. Cutter House
1302 State Street, Eau Claire County, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reference Number: 29223
Additional Information: The Cutter House, an excellent example of the Queen Anne style, was erected in 1885. More exuberant than the Buffington House (1500 State Street, 3P/21), which is also in the district, the large residence is a decidly picturesque composition enhanced by the exquisite detail which may only be found in a city based upon the lumber industry.

Rising from a rock-faced stone foundation and sheathed inclapboards and shingles, the Cutter House is composed of a main two and a half story block and a projecting three and a half story pavilion, a feature which dominates the facade. The gable roofed pavilion is characterized by taut, rounded surfaces on the lower sections and an arcaded balcony on the third floor. Balancing this element, but located on the ground level, is a semi-circular veranda and connecting entrance porch. A spindle valance and latticework between the turned posts provide ornamentation.

Additional features include, on the north elevation, a two tier arcaded veranda (Note: the lower tier has been enclosed, one of the few changes made to the home.) decorated again with valanced and latticework. On the south elevation a simple porte-cochere is visible, as well as a massive chimney (another chimney is located behind the pavilion).

The Cutter House was designated an Eau Claire landmark in 1981.

In 1870 Addison A. Cutter, a native of New York, settled in Eau Claire, where he established a shoe business that catered to the special needs of the lumberjack. These boots were made chiefly by German and Norwegian cobblers. The quality of these shoes insured success for Cutter who soon became Eau Claire's leading shoe retailer. His combination store and factory (no longer extant) was located at the corner of Eau Claire and Dewey streets. Cutter, who died in 1906, was also a director of the Union National Bank and treasurer of the American Calk Company and was actively involved in community affairs. Cutter's wife, Belle, who continued the shoe business, lived in the home until her death in 1943.
The foregoing content used with gracious permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment