Winnebago Paper Mill 1874

Photographed November 18, 2014
Erected 2010 by John Bergstrom
Neenah, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.187968,-88.462861
Google Map

WINNEBAGO PAPER MILL 1874
John R. Davis was an immigrant Welshman in his 60s when he led a 17-person company in building the Winnebago Paper Mill. The mill was erected on the site of the "Old Government Mill" that the United States built to mil corn for the Native Americans who lived here. The Old Government Mill was destroyed by a fire, and in 1874 Davis spent $40,000 to construct a new brick structure that was capable of producing six tons of paper each day. In 1904, Dedrick Waldemar Bergstrom purchased the Winnebago Paper Mill, which became the Bergstrom Paper Company, Today, the new world headquarters of Plexus sits on this historic site.
Bergstrom | Legacy Park is located at the entrance to the Plexus Corporation plaza, at the west end of West Church Street, at its T-intersection with North Church Street, near 135 North Church Street, Neenah, Wisconsin 54956.

NOTE: The address for Plexus Corporation is 1 Plexus Way, Neenah, Wisconsin 54956

Legacy Park, located in downtown Neenah, Wisconsin, honors and illustrates a wealth of information on the origin, growth and importance of papermaking in the Fox Valley. The privately funded park was built around the existing base of the former Glatfelter / Bergstrom Paper Co. smokestack.

The marker is mounted to the base of the
former Glatfelter / Bergstrom Paper Co. smokestack.


The Church Street entrance to Bergstrom | Legacy Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment