Whitney Park

Photographed November 29, 2014
Awarded 2005 by Green Bay Historic Preservation Commission
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
44.513703,-88.005424

Founded: circa 1829
Awarded for: Historically Significant

Whitney Park is located inside a city block made up of bordered by Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 29 / U.S. Highway 141 (to the north), North Van Buren Street (to the east), Pine Street (to the south), and North Jackson Street (to the west), at 800 Main Street, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.

Green Bay Historic Preservation Commission 2005 Award Recipients 

Named for an early settler, Daniel Whitney, who platted the Village of Navarino between the Fox and East Rivers and set aside three park areas called "commons" in 1829.

Wikipedia: Daniel Whitney (Wisconsin Entrepreneur)
  • First "Yankee" to settle in Green Bay
  • privately founded the Navarino township (which eventually became Green Bay)
  • established a number of businesses between the War of 1812 and Wisconsin's statehood
  • built the first led shot tower
  • built the first saw mill on the Wisconsin River
  • built the first hotel in the Green Bay (then Navarino) area
  • Whitney is sometimes called "the Father of Green Bay"; also a Wisconsin founding father
The Wisconsin Magazine of History: Vol. 24, No. 3, Mar., 1941: Daniel Whitney, Pioneer Wisconsin Businessman, by Alice E. Smith

See also, Brown County: Historic Sites Recognized by the City of Green Bay, to view all awarded properties.

See also, Whitney Commons, also at this location, and Central Assembly of God / The Bridal Church, a related site at a nearby location. 

 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com
Whitney Park, Green Bay, Wis.


Whitney Commons, also at this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment