Erected 2000 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Waukesha, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
WAUKESHA ENGINE DIVISION
The “Motor Works” pioneered the use of engines to power tractors, cars, trucks, & boats. Later Waukesha Motor Company introduced industrial engines to power compressors, pumps, construction machinery, oilfield drilling, & other industrial applications. Today Waukesha Engine is a worldwide leader in manufacturing gaseous-fueled engines for gas compression, mechanical drive, and power generation applications.Harold L. Horning, Fred Ahrens, and Allan Stebbins founded the Waukesha Motor Company in 1906 in the Blue Front Garage on North Street. The company prospered & by 1910 moved into a larger facility built on St. Paul Avenue.Waukesha Motor Company signed a merger agreement with Bangor Punta Corporation in 1968. In 1974, Dresser Industries acquired the company and the name was changed to Waukesha Engine Division. In 1998, the company became Waukesha Engine Division, a part of the Dresser Equipment Group in the Halliburton Company.
The marker is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of West Saint Paul Avenue and North Prairie Avenue, across a busy intersection from St. Paul's Pub (which does not have a website), located at 830 West Saint Paul Avenue, Waukesha, Wisconsin 53188.
Waukesha Engine Historical Society
This is the official website of the Waukesha Engine Historical Society, provided to those engine enthusiasts who wish to learn more about the engines that have been produced by Waukesha Engine since 1906. We are proud of our heritage and our products, made by hard working men and women from the heartland.
Waukesha Engine Historical Society: The Motor Works
This a 10-part series of articles written by John Schoenknecht for Waukesha County's "The Freeman" Newspaper. They relate the history of Waukesha Engine from its 1906 beginnings to the present:
- Part 1 -- Powering Waukesha and the World
- Part 2 -- First motor, Model A, designed to power boats
- Part 3 -- Company fortunes continue to rise in new home
- Part 4 -- The '20s were roaring at Motor Works
- Part 5 -- Horning's death brings city to virtual halt
- Part 6 -- Waukesha Motor Co. expands diesel, propane products
- Part 7 -- Government, hospital sectors spur growth for Waukesha Motor
- Part 8 -- Waukesha Motor becomes Waukesha Engine with sale to Dresser
- Part 9 -- Waukesha engines find use in Artic, spot in 9/11 history
- Part 10 -- Motor development involves many moving parts
Waukesha Engine Historical Society: WEHS Articles
Loads more articles about the history of Waukesha Engine Division.
The marker is No. 34-16 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
A Century of Progress Display of the
Waukesha Motor Company
in the Automotive Section of the
Travel and Transport Building.
Diesel Engines, Oil Engines, Gasoline Engines, and Gas Engines -- Each type The Most Modern of its Kind -- Are All Shown in This Exhibit. The Waukesha Factory and Laboratories at Waukesha, Wisconsin Are Open to Public Inspection, and Will Welcome Anyone Interested in "America's Finest Heavy Duty Engines".