Photographed November 12, 2014
Erected 1999 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Funded by Village of Merton
Merton (Hartland), Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 8.99′ N, 88° 18.456′ W
VILLAGE of MERTON
The marker is located on northbound County Road VV, at its T-intersection with Ted Bies Boulevard, directly across from the entrance to Merton Firemens Park, Merton (Hartland), Wisconsin 53029.Early Potawatomi Indians had a camp trail on ridge south of Bark River, which became part of [sic] Military Trail.Wm. O'Dell, about 1840, built first settler cabin near Bark.In 1848 the Township was called "Warren". Local people wanted a Post Office, but Wisconsin already had a Warren's P.O. So the local name was changed to "Merton". First hotel built 1847 by W.W. Caswell. First school started in 1843 in log cabin with D.S. Foote as teacher. School built in 1848 on Main St. with new school built in 1922. In 1843 First Baptist Church formed. In 1880 St. John's United Church of Christ started. In 1917 Merton Fire Dept. founded. On March 7, 1922 257 residents voted to incorporate Village of Merton. In 1992 to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Village of Merton and the 75th of the Fire Dept. The Vietnam Moving Wall was brought to the Village. This was the first time Moving Wall was on display in southeastern Wis.
Welcome to the Village of Merton
This marker is No. 16-04 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
With Merton Millpond 26 in the background.
The marker is easy to locate and access on northbound County Highway VV.
The marker is directly across from the Ted Bies Boulevard
entrance to Merton Firemens Park.