Town of Lisbon

Photographed March 2, 2015
Erected by Lisbon 2000 Millennium and
Waukesha County Historical Society
Town of Lisbon, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43.148744,-88.243356

TOWN of LISBON
The Town of Lisbon was once part of Wayne County (Detroit), then Brown County (Green Bay), Milwaukee County and finally Waukesha County in 1846. The first male settler was Thomas S. Redford (1818-1903). He claimed 160 acres May 15, 1836. Melinda Weaver (1813-1886) was the first female settler arriving in March 1837.

Lisbon had its first official meeting April 15, 1842 in the future Lisbon Plank Schoolhouse. Lisbon, being part of “Cow County, U.S.A.” had many large dairy farms.

Industry also grew from glacial gravel deposits and the underlying Niagara Reef dolomite limestone. The Lisbon population was 1,158 in 1940 and 9,125 in 2000. A sesquicentennial party of the coming of the first settler was celebrated in 1986. Lisbon celebrated the 2000 Millenium by putting a time capsule below, to be opened on May 15, 2036, the 200th year of the coming of the first settler.
The marker is located on the grounds of the Town of Lisbon Fire Department on westbound Good Hope Road, at its intersection with northbound Hillside Road, at 24835 Good Hope Road, Town of Lisbon (Sussex), Wisconsin 53089.

Welcome to the Town of Lisbon

This marker is No.  13-05 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.




 The marker is on the grounds of the Town of Lisbon Fire Department.

November 12, 2014:

The marker is adjacent to the Town of Lisbon Fire Department.



The marker is on the grounds of the Town of Lisbon Fire Department.

No comments:

Post a Comment