Thilmany Pulp and Paper Co. 1883

Photographed November 18, 2014
Erected 2010 by John Bergstrom
Neenah, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.187968,-88.462861
Google Map

THILMANY PULP AND PAPER CO. 1883
Oscar Thilmany and four partners began the American Pulp Company in 1883, which became Thilmany Pulp and Paper in 1901. The company's workforce (ten men and eight women) produced six tons of boxboard and food containers each day. Later, newsprint and catalogs were added to the increasingly diversified production lines, but the company is well-known [sic[ for their production of Kraft pulp, which is used in brown paper bags and other coarse papers. The company's waterproof paper was important to the World War II war effort. One variety helped prevent a fungus from ruining military rations in the  South Pacific. Thilmany employs about 1,100 people in the Fox River Valley.
Bergstrom | Legacy Park is located at the entrance to the Plexus Corporation plaza, at the west end of West Church Street, at its T-intersection with North Church Street, near 135 North Church Street, Neenah, Wisconsin 54956.

NOTE: The address for Plexus Corporation is 1 Plexus Way, Neenah, Wisconsin 54956

Legacy Park, located in downtown Neenah, Wisconsin, honors and illustrates a wealth of information on the origin, growth and importance of papermaking in the Fox Valley. The privately funded park was built around the existing base of the former Glatfelter / Bergstrom Paper Co. smokestack.

Kaukauna Area Historical Society: Paper Mill History
Includes photos, newspaper articles -- a plethora of information about Thilmany Pulp and Paper Co.

The marker is mounted at the base of the
former Glatfelter / Bergstrom Paper Co. smokestack.


The entrance to Bergstrom | Legacy Park.



With the Thilmany Pulp and Paper Mills, founded in 1883, to the left.

The marker is visible to the right, along the pathway.
Thilmany Pulp and Paper Mills, founded in 1883, in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment