Photographed November 4, 2014
Erected 2009 by Waukesha County Historical Society & Museum
Funded by Brookfiend Rotary Club
Brookfield, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 2.663′ N, 88° 6.449′ W
WILLIAM DONALDSON HOUSE
- VISITORS CENTER -
This log house was built in 1852-53 by William Donaldson, a young farmer, and his aunt, Barbara Donaldson. The house originally stood at 2350 N. Barker Road in Brookfield. It consisted of three rooms and a loft. Two adjoining bedrooms and a kitchen, which now serves as the entry room to the Visitors’ Center, were added later.
Several families lived in the house until it was acquired by Almond & Agrypina Bartlett in December, 1930, and it remained their home for sixty years. Their farm acreage is now Bartlett Manor subdivision. After Almond’s death, Agrypina lived in the house until 1992. The new owner, James Ihn, donated the house to the Elmbrook Historical Society. The two bedrooms were removed and the house was transported to this site on May 12, 1993. A portion of the siding was stripped to expose the log construction showing the chinking between the logs.
The marker is located on the grounds of the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum on southbound Pilgrim Parkway, between Gebhart Road (to the north) and West Bluemound Road / U.S. Highway 18 (to the south), and 1075 Pilgrim Parkway, Brookfield, Wisconsin 53005.
This marker is No. 02-07 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
The marker is located at the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum.