The History of Twelve Corners Cemetery

© Photographed November 14, 2014 and September 19, 2015
Black Creek, Outagamie County, Wisconsin
44.401349,-88.435062
Google Map

The History of
TWELVE CORNERS CEMETERY
The St. Matthias Church and Cemetery was once a functional congregation. Founded in 1881 and closed in 1929. [sic] The church was razed in 1932. The cemetery was neglected for many years.

In 1976 the cemetery was "reclaimed" from weeds and underbrush by Gary Koerner, as an Eagle Scout project. A St. Matthias Cemetery Association was formed in 1978, [sic] by descendants of those buried in the cemetery and work continued by them.  

The upkeep of the cemetery became a burden due to illness and deaths of Association leaders. They wanted the cemetery to continue as a sacred place. To that end, the congregation of St. John United Church of Christ, Appleton voted in February 1996 to accept all responsibility for the care and maintenance of the cemetery and named it "Twelve Corners Cemetery."
The marker is located at Twelve Corners Cemetery on southbound 12 Corners Road, south of its intersection with Wisconsin Highway 47, at or near N4494 12 Corners Road, Black Creek, Wisconsin 54106.

St. John UCC of Appleton





Signage leading to the marker location.


First visited November 14, 2014 -- the first snowfall of the season . . .


The marker is located at Twelve Corners Cemetery in Black Creek, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment