Sixteen School 1844-1944

 Photographed November 12, 2014
Erected 1991 by "16" Reunion Committee
Village of Lisbon, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43.148437,-88.242814

SIXTEEN SCHOOL
1844-1944
Lisbon School No. 5 opened 1844 on Rd. "16". Named "16" School. Originally was west of present day Hillside Rd. " ("16" RD). 1860's saw new construction of one room cream brick school. Original commissioner Harrison Phillips, clerk R. Blount, early teacher Samuel Tenny. Students, age 4-20, ungraded until 1900's. 1920 saw graduates go to Sussex 2 year high school. "16" was consolidated with Sussex Dec. 1944. Old school was sold and became home. Reunion former students, teachers, held July 28, 1991.
The marker is located on eastbound Good Hope Road, east of its intersection with Hillside Road, at or near 24835 Good Hope Road, Sussex (Village of Lisbon), Wisconsin 53089.



The marker is directly across from the Town of Lisbon Fire Department.

No comments:

Post a Comment