Photographed November 4, 2014
Brookfield, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 2.663′ N, 88° 6.449′ W
Farming was an activity undertaken by many of Wisconsin's new residents. Ninety-two percent of Waukesha County's land was devoted to that endeavor by 1900. The number of cattle in the country grew nearly six-fold between 1850 and 1890, a period that initially saw much wheat produced. But that did not last. Dairy farming soon prevailed and farmers began to import milk-producing cows from places like Switzerland and Scotland. Soon cheese factories and creameries were found throughout the country.The Town of Brookfield was historically described as "an excellent farming section." No doubt assisted by the enterprising farmers in the vicinity. Waukesha County claimed cattle numbering 70,693 by 1945. Waukesha became one of the primary dairying countries in the nation and earned the nickname "Cow County U.S.A."
The marker is located on the grounds of the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum on southbound Pilgrim Parkway, between Gebhart Road (to the north) and West Bluemound Road / U.S. Highway 18 (to the south), and 1075 Pilgrim Parkway, Brookfield, Wisconsin 53005.
Elmbrook Historical Society: Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum
Click here to view all markers / sites at the
Residence & Farm of George Daubner, Brookfield Center, Waukesha Co. Wis.
Showing view of Lacrosse & Prairie Du Chein Divisions of Milwaukee & St. Paul. R.R.
George Daubner's prosperous farm was located in the southwest quarter of Section 15, east southeast of Brookfield Junction. The railroad alignments in the background are those used today. The house and one bard remain at 16680 W. North Avenue. (This image is from the collection of Elmbrook Historical Society and was originally published in the 1878 Historical Atlas of Wisconsin.)
These images illustrate various farming-related entities in the Town of Brookfield -- none of which remain today. Picture A is the 1870s house historically located at the William Bolter farm at 17305 W. North Avenue. Charles Dunkel's barn is seen in the circa 1890 picture B. It was situated in the area that today encompasses the Brookfield Square development. Illustration C is the house associated with the Frederick Neu farmstead at 14656 W. Capitol Drive. New built the house with brick formed from clay found on the property. (All images were provided by the Elmbrook Historical Society.) Note that all property locations are identified on the two map found on panel 1.
The marker is one of three in this kiosk.
The marker is located at the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum.