Ruby Farm, Town of Brookfield (Panel One)

Photographed November 4, 2014
Brookfield, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
 43° 2.663′ N, 88° 6.449′ W
Google Map

Ruby Farm, Town of Brookfield, Waukesha County
Wisconsin's first rail line reached the Town of Brookfield in 1851 on its way to Waukesha. Shortly thereafter, in 1853, a second line left the first as a connection was sought to Oconomowoc and Watertown. A depot was constructed where the two lines parted, a place that became Brookfield Junction. A new depot replaced the original in 1867. It remains today at 2844 N. Brookfield Road. The community served as an agricultural support center for farmers that had settled in the area since the 1830s/
The marker is located on the grounds of the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum on southbound Pilgrim Parkway, between Gebhart Road (to the north) and West Bluemound Road  / U.S. Highway 18 (to the south), and 1075 Pilgrim Parkway, Brookfield, Wisconsin 53005.

The 1867 Brookfield Junction depot in 2013. A cupola once straddled the roof.
(Photo by Heritage Research, Ltd.)

The plat map of the town illustrates the location of the farms noted on panels 2 & 3 of this display. (The map is from the 1891 Plat Book of Waukesha County). Pilgrim Road extends north/south and is on the left side of the New Farm.

Waukesha County's population grew rapidly between 1840 and 1850. In the decade the followed, German immigration became a significant component of the growth that continued. Germans owned by 1860 one-quarter of the land in Brookfield Township.

 The marker is one of three in this kiosk.


The marker is located at the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment