Riverside Paper 1893

Photographed November 18, 2014
Erected 2010 by John Bergstrom
Neenah, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
Google Map

The Riverside Mill began in an old tanning mill with a two-digester pulp machine. In 1889, the mill had grown to 100 employees and a yearly payroll of $60,000. Judge James C. Kerwin became president of Riverside in 1918. In 1921, Judge Kerwin died suddenly, leaving his stock to his daughter, Jessie. her husband was C.B. Clark, son of one of the founders of Kimberly-Clark. C.B. Clark made the workers feel a kinship with the factory's success. Clark combined the values of hard work, ambition and social service, rescuing Riverside. For over 100 years, Riverside Paper Company manufactured quality papers that were widely used for education and the arts and crafts trades.
Bergstrom | Legacy Park is located at the entrance to the Plexus Corporation plaza, at the west end of West Church Street, at its T-intersection with North Church Street, near 135 North Church Street, Neenah, Wisconsin 54956.

NOTE: The address for Plexus Corporation is 1 Plexus Way, Neenah, Wisconsin 54956

Legacy Park, located in downtown Neenah, Wisconsin, honors and illustrates a wealth of information on the origin, growth and importance of papermaking in the Fox Valley. The privately funded park was built around the existing base of the former Glatfelter / Bergstrom Paper Co. smokestack.

Pacon: Pacon Acquires Riverside Paper Corporation
The purchase positioned Pacon "as the brand leader in the Educational market for art and specialty papers".

In Memoriam: Hon. James C. Kerwin

The marker is mounted at the base of the
former Glatfelter / Bergstrom Paper Co. smokestack.

The entrance to Bergstrom | Legacy Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment