Photographed November 12, 2014
Erected 2008 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Funded by the John Meissner Family
Town of Lisbon, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
The marker is located on the grounds of a private residence on eastbound Plainview Road, at its intersection with northbound Lake Five Road, Town of Lisbon (Hartland), Wisconsin 53029.Lisbon District #4 School was organized February 1, 1844. In March, 1847, a log school building was built east of this property at a cost of $300, including a fence around it.
This new one-room cream brick structure was completed in November of 1870 at a cost of $1,400.
Lisbon District #4 did not have a name until 1920 when an appropriate name “Plainview” was chosen as it was in plain view. It remained a one-room school house until 1952. Since then, it has served as a private residence.
This marker is No. 13-04 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
The Lake Five Road-side of the building.