Pioneer St. James Catholic Church of Menomonee Falls

© Photographed November 12, 2014 and July 4, 2015
Erected 1972, 1997 & 2004 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 8.231′ N, 88° 11.054′ W

PIONEER
ST. JAMES CATHOLIC CHURCH
OF MENOMONEE FALLS
Congregation began in Irish settlement between old Lannon Springs and Templeton about 1841. First mass was said in James Brogan’s log cabin.

Original church built of local stone and dedicated, 1848, by parishioners and Fr. James Colton, first resident pastor. Church enlarged and tower built in 1886. From 1907 to 1933 most parish groups organized. Church steeple destroyed by lightning fire Aug. 1921 and not restored.

Centennial of church celebrated, 1948, with Archbishop Moses E. Kiley.

From 1954 to 1961: new buildings included school, convent, and church to hold 600.

Historical Chapel restored in 1971.

The convent, & barracks were torn down and a new church was built in 1998-‘99
The marker is located on the grounds of St. James Catholic Church on northbound Town Line Road / Wisconsin Route 74, north of its intersection with Main Street / Wisconsin Route 74, at

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.: Retrospect (April 9, 2008): Brogan log cabin hosts first Catholic services
A very nice article with a complete history of the church.

St. James Catholic Church

This marker is No. 12-02 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.

See also, Bruce P. Nettesheim Memorial, also at this location.


It's much easier to see the lovely church when the leaves are off the trees.

The back side of the marker.
See also, Bruce P. Nettesheim Memorial, also at this location.


The church is located in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment