Monches

Photographed November 12, 2014
Erected 2009 by Waukesha County Historical Museum
Funded by Monches Recreation Club
Hartland, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 11.175′ N, 88° 20.502′ W

MONCHES
Settled predominately by Irish Catholics in the 1840’s, it originally was called O’Connellsville after Irish emancipator, Daniel O’Connell.
In 1848, a meeting was held to nominate the first postmaster. Three men, Swiss miller Henry Kuntz, & two Englishmen, John D. Hartley & John Whipp applied. Hartley was elected postmaster. The village was named Monches, who was part Potawatomi and part Chippewa, and who was buried on Hartley’s farm.
In the 1890’s, the village had two schools, three general stores, the mill, two blacksmith shops, a wagon maker’s shop, post office, meat market, creamery, two doctor’s offices and several taverns. The area today retains the peace & tranquility of earlier times. Near the mill pond, Kuntz’s house, built in 1849, still stands.
The marker is located at the center of a field inside Monches Recreation Park. The entrance to the park is located on southbound Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive / County Road E, just south of its intersection with Center Oak Road / County Road F, at W300 N9223 County Road E, Hartland, Wisconsin 53029.

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society: The Community of Monches


This marker is No. 17-01 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.

See also, Monches Baseball Park, also at this location.


The entrance to the park off Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive,
Follow the driveway (to the left) to the parking lot near the building;
the marker is impossible to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment