Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot

Photographed November 4, 2014
Erected 2007 by La Estacion Restaurante and 
Waukesha County Historical Museum
Waukesha, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43.005439,-88.232929
Google Map

MILWAUKEE AND MADISON
RAILWAY DEPOT
The Depot was built in 1881 and acquired by Chicago [sic] Northwestern Railway in 1882. The local limestone and cream-colored brick building is in the Victorian gothic style.

Commercial travelers, tourists visiting Springs Era resorts & spas, home seekers and business entrepreneurs traveled to and from this depot on 16 trains a day. In 1894, the first interburban train, carrying people to Waukesha Beach, left from this depot. On October 14, 1948, President Harry S. Truman made a ten-minute speech at this depot in front of 10,000 people.

In the mid-1950's, passenger service ended. The depot was vacated by the railroad in 1964. It stood empty until 1973, when it was purchased and rehabilitated as a restaurant. Several restaurants have operated here since thus providing the historic station with a colorful second life.
The marker is located on eastbound Williams Street, east of its intersection with Maple Avenue, at 319 Williams Street, Waukesha, Wisconsin 53186.

Chicago & Northwestern Historical Society
An Illinois not-for-profit corporation dedicated to preserving the legacy of the C&NW and its predecessor roads since 1973.

This marker is No. 34-12 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.



Photograph of Chicago and NorthWestern logo taken
at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin

The referenced original depot building, now a restaurant.


The parking lot-side of the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment