Photographed November 12, 2014
Erected 1990 by Lisbon Plank School Reunion Committee
Revised 2002 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Sussex, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 6.729′ N, 88° 12.892′ W
NOTE: How ironic that an historical marker honoring a school would be filled with errors in syntax, punctuation, capitalization, and vocabulary! Such a disgrace!First school in Lisbon-Sussex was built possibly as early as 1839 [sic] no later than 1841, by George Elliot, using stone from James Weaver’s nearby quarry (presently Halquist’s). Earliest school commissioners David Bonham, Sherman Botsford, & R. Blount set up first recorded meeting May 16, 1842. Early stone school was used for church dances, weddings, & [sic] political meetings. Original Town of Lisbon annual meeting met [sic] here April 5, 1842 with Bonham elected [sic] Town Chairman. School rebuilt in 1869, Named [sic] after Lisbon Plank Toll Road built in 1840’s. The elementary school closed in 1951.
The school and marker are located on westbound Lisbon Road / County Highway K, west of its intersection with Wisconsin Route 74, at or near W23558 Lisbon Road, Sussex (Pewaukee), Wisconsin 53089.
NOTE: The school and marker are located at the Halquist Stone quarry / complex.
This marker is No. 13-03 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
The school and marker are located at the Halquist Stone quarry / complex.