Photographed November 12, 2014
Erected 1989-1990 / Revised 2002 by Waukesha County Historical Society
Lisbon (Sussex), Waukesha County, Wisconsin
Halquist Quarry was started by John Halquist 1929.
He reopened an abandoned water filled quarry north of here. Original owner was Sussex-Lisbon pioneer James Weaver. Stone was quarried as early as 1839-'41. 1860's saw John Ready open big operation. Later John Kearney took over until turn of century. Notable was stone furnished for Sussex's St. Alban's church 1864-'66 & again for bell tower, 1875. John Halquist was assisted by son, Al. In turn sons of Al, Bud & Perry, ran operation.
Now fourth generation, sons of Perry, Tom & Bill are in business.
The marker is located on westbound Lisbon Road / County Highway K, about a quarter mile west of its intersection with Wisconsin State Route 74, at Halquist Stone, N51 W23563 Lisbon Road, Sussex, Wisconsin 53089.
This marker is No. 13-01 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.
The marker is visible to the far right in this photo.
There's plenty of parking across the street from the marker location.