Gilbert Paper Company 1887

Photographed November 18, 2014
Erected 2010 by John Bergstrom
Neenah, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
44.187968,-88.462861
Google Map

GILBERT PAPER COMPANY 1887
William Gilbert, a paper merchandiser, and his four sons started Filbert Paper Company in 1887 on the Lawson  Canal in Menasha on the banks of the Fox River. The company's first papermaking machine was a 72-inch Fourdriner. By 1957, the Gilbert Mill had 400 employees and produced 14,000 tons of high-grade paper per year. Their brands included Gilbert Bond, which was 25 percent cotton, and the 100 percent cotton Lancaster Bond. The quality of the Gilbert papers was recognized as being among the finest in premium paper products.
Bergstrom | Legacy Park is located at the entrance to the Plexus Corporation plaza, at the west end of West Church Street, at its T-intersection with North Church Street, near 135 North Church Street, Neenah, Wisconsin 54956.

NOTE: The address for Plexus Corporation is 1 Plexus Way, Neenah, Wisconsin 54956

Legacy Park, located in downtown Neenah, Wisconsin, honors and illustrates a wealth of information on the origin, growth and importance of papermaking in the Fox Valley. The privately funded park was built around the existing base of the former Glatfelter / Bergstrom Paper Co. smokestack.

Neenah Paper: GILBERT® Cotton Papers 

The marker is mounted to the base of the
former Glatfelter / Bergstrom Paper Co. smokestack.


The entrance to Bergstrom | Legacy Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment