Erected 1992 by F&M Bank
Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
FREDERICK NEHS MILL AND MILL DAM
This site marks the location of the earliest commercial activity in the Village of Menomonee Falls around which the present downtown developed. Frederick Nehs, one of the earliest settlers of the area, erected a four story stone grist mill on this site in 1861. The mill operated from water power generated by a wooden dam built on the site of a rock falls in approximately the same location as the present Lepper Dam. The waterfall and rapids area that produced power for the Nehs Mill extended another half mile downstream to the historic lime kilns where other early commercial and industrial operations were established. The Nehs Mill operated until 1939. The original dam was rebuilt in 1896 and again in 1954.
This overlook, as part of Village Centre, was made possible
by the donation of:
Richard P. Klug, Chairman
April 26, 1992
The marker is located at an overlook of the Menomonee River on westbound Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 74, between Water Street (to the east) and Grand Avenue (to the west), Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin 53051.
Looking west along Main Street.
The marker is visible in the distance, in the center of the photo.