Photographed November 8, 2014
Erected by New Holstein Civil Society
New Holstein, Calumet County, Wisconsin
This wooded site of 4.77 acres was purchased from Rudolph Puchner in 1915 for $2,500.00 by an organization of 12 women called the New Holstein Civic Society. Their purpose was to improve and beautify the city. Through diligent work and numerous fund-raising projects the cost was paid in full in 1921. The property was deeded to the city in 1941 for the benefit and pleasure of the public.
1914 - 1989
The marker is located at Civic Park on westbound Park Avenue, at its intersection with northbound Washington Street, New Holstein, Wisconsin 53061.
According to The Inflation Calculator, what cost $2,500 in 1915 would cost $56,743.77 in 2013.
The marker is tucked amongst arborvitaes, but easy to see from the roadway.
The maker is about 100 feet west of this sign on Park Avenue.