Central Assembly of God / The Bridal Church

Photographed Thanksgiving morning 2014
Awarded 2005 by Green Bay Historic Preservation Commission
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
 44.511929,-88.005153
Google Map

Built: 1862
Style: Greek Revival
Awarded for: Adaptive Reuse / Culturally Significant

The church building is located on westbound Cherry Street, at its intersection with northbound North Van Buren Street, at 901 Cherry Street, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.

The property is now home to The Bridal Chapels of Door County & Green Bay.

Listed as Record #30039 on the Wisconsin Architecture & History Inventory

Wikipedia: Daniel Whitney (Wisconsin Entrepreneur)
  • First "Yankee" to settle in Green Bay
  • privately founded the Navarino township (which eventually became Green Bay)
  • established a number of businesses between the War of 1812 and Wisconsin's statehood
  • built the first led shot tower
  • built the first saw mill on the Wisconsin River
  • built the first hotel in the Green Bay (then Navarino) area
  • Whitney is sometimes called "the Father of Green Bay"; also a Wisconsin founding father
The Wisconsin Magazine of History: Vol. 24, No. 3, Mar., 1941: Daniel Whitney, Pioneer Wisconsin Businessman, by Alice E. Smith
Greater Green Bay Chamber: Daniel Whitney Award

See also, Brown County: Historic Sites Recognized by the City of Green Bay, to view all awarded properties.

See also, Whitney Park, a related site at a nearby location.

The small plaque is hidden beneath the Thanksgiving wreath on the left.



It was less than 20 degrees when this photo was taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment