WRL-83: Maxon-Wright House

 Photographed October 22, 2014
Erected 1970 by Washington County Historical Society
West Bend, Washington County, Wisconsin
43° 20.327′ N, 88° 13.345′ W
Google Map

MAXON-WRIGHT HOUSE
Built in 1847 by Densmore W. Maxon, a Yankee surveyor and member of the first Wisconsin State Legislature, who constructed a dam and sawmill and platted Cedar Creek. The east wing housed the first village post office. The Greek Revival style house is certified as architecturally significant by the Historic American Buildings Survey. Restored, modernized and furnished in 1947 by the William H. B. Wrights.
The marker is located on eastbound Cedar Creek Road / County Road C, between Lily Road (to the west) and County Road Z (to the east) at 3709 County Road C, West Bend, Wisconsin 53096.

Historical Information on the Town of Polk
Includes information about "Dinsmore W. Maxon" (appears there are two recorded spellings of his name) and the house.

The records from the land office show that James Williamson entered his land, forty acres, on Section 27, August 7, 1843, and the date of the first entry to Dinsmore W. Maxon was December 7, 1844, forty acres on Section 15, to which he added another forty acres on the same section, March 27, 1845.

Mr. Maxon was, at that time of his settlement, a young surveyor. He had been settled since 1843 in the town of Mequon, and had in his surveys become familiar with the whole region. He selected his land on Cedar Creek, and its excellent waterpower is now utilized by him to furnish power for the sawmill which he still owns. At the time of his settlement, Kewaskum, one of the last and noblest chiefs of the Pottawatomies, was his nearest neighbor. They got on well and remained firm friends till the old chief died. Mr. Maxon still has his home on the old place.

He was one of the first Supervisors of the town, was for many years a member of the State Senate, and is as widely known as a leading man of affairs as any resident of the county, with which he has been identified since its earliest days.
This marker and location are included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmarks program (1964-1973).



 January 1968 photo of the house.

November 1971 photo of the marker, just after it was erected.


The house is at the end of the driveway, to the left,
hidden behind all the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment