WRL-71: Carl A. Schroeder, 1854-1944

© Photographed October 22, 2014
Erected by Washington County Historical Society
West Bend, Washington County, Wisconsin
43.395859,-88.161083
Google Map

CARL A. SCHROEDER, 1856-1944
Known for his never-ending interest in scientific methods in dairying, Carl A. Schroeder developed one of the first registered Holstein-Friesian herds in Wisconsin. Many herds of registered cattle, national and international, were bred from this Cedar Lawn herd, which included two world champion cows. Schroeder also promoted civic and youth programs and was honored at the University of Wisconsin in 1922 for outstanding service to agriculture and dairying.
The marker is located at the Carl A. Schroeder farmstead on southbound County Road G, about a mile south of its intersection with East Paradise drive, at or near 5657 County Road G, West Bend, Wisconsin 53095.



This marker and location are included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmarks program (1964-1973). 


The Prairie Farmer, February 11, 1922

With the Carl A. Schroeder farmhouse in the background.

 This media file is in the public domain;
Holstein-Friesian milk cow – "Because much of the cost of a cow is the feed and labor needed to maintain her, fewer but higher yielding cows mean lower priced milk. Dairy herd improvement ultimately benefits consumers. That's why it's just as important to keep complete and accurate records as it is to keep the cows contented. The National Cooperative Dairy Herd Improvement Program has been tracking Bossy's milk yields since 1905. Over the years, this program has made enormous contributions to dairy cattle breeding. ARS scientists receive the lactation records of all herds enrolled in the program and use the figures to rank the bulls that sire the nation's dairy cows and to rank the cows themselves. The results of years and years of scientific dairying? Milk production has been trending upward for more than 25 years in the United States-from about 117,000 million pounds in 1970 to more than 150,000 million pounds in 1994-even though the number of milk cows has been reduced."
The marker is located in West Bend, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment