© Photographed October 9, 2014
Erected by City of Columbus Historic Preservation Commission
Columbus, Columbia County, Wisconsin
Recognized by the
City of Columbus Historic Preservation Commission
Rising from the ashes of Alonzo H. Witney's 1848 hotel, the cream brick 1858 "Whitney House" contained a ballroom, Post Office and the town's first telephone, connected to the depot. In 1992, after many years of neglect, the Columbus Downtown Development Corp. partnered with Heartland Properties Inc. and local supporters to save this important building in the center of our Historic District.
The building is located on the southeast corner of the intersection of East James Street and South Ludington Street / Wisconsin Highway 73, at 101 South Ludington Street, Columbus, Wisconsin 53925.
Paintings by Susan Stare and Other Historic Artifacts
Researched and Written by Alica L. Schmidt, this 64-page booklet is fabulous!
Produced 2012 by City of Columbus Historic Landmarks and Preservation Commission
The plaque is mounted to the facade to the right of the entrance.