Photographed October 22, 2014
Erected 2007 by Washington County Landmarks Commission
Hartford, Washington County, Wisconsin
43° 18.911′ N, 88° 22.643′ W
LOHR'S GAS STATION
City of Hartford, Wisconsin
Lohr’s Gas Station was built in 1928 by Lawrence Lohr on the front lawn of his residence at 158 Branch Street. It was operational as a gas station when $1.00 could purchase 5-8 gallons of gas.
The historic feature of this building is the Oriental pagoda-like roof with bright red roof tiles. Gas stations with pagoda roofs originated in the Midwest. They were popular from 1915 through the 1930s, and a few still exist. The front half of this building was a drive-through open canopy which was enclosed in the 1950s when it became Troeller Tire Shop and later the State Farm Insurance Office, currently owned by Gary and Kathleen Schlieve.
The marker is located on northbound Branch Street / Wisconsin Highway 83, at its "V" intersection with South Street, at 158 Branch Street, Hartford, Wisconsin 53027.
The marker is No. 06-002 in a series of markers placed by the Washington County Landmarks Commission.
The marker is to the right of the entrance, mounted to the facade.
Sweet little building!