Iron Block (1860)

© Photographed October 19, 2014 and September 13, 2015
Erected 1973 by City of Milwaukee Landmarks Commission
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 2.307′ N, 87° 54.53′ W

IRON BLOCK
Designed by George H. Johnson, erected in 1860-61, and designated in 1973 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community and the nation.
The building and marker are located on eastbound East Wisconsin Avenue, at the intersection of East Wisconsin Avenue and North Water Street, at 205 East Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202.

The building is now owned and was restored in 2014 by Dental Associates Iron Block.

. . . for its meticulous restoration of the exterior of the historic Iron Block Building in downtown Milwaukee. The award is sponsored by the city’s Historic Preservation Commission, the Common Council and Mayor Tom Barrett to recognize individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions in the field of historic preservation and heritage education and advocacy in the City of Milwaukee.
Dental Associates Iron Bock: The History of the Iron Block Building

Wisconsin Historical Society: Architecture and History Inventory
205 East Wisconsin Avenue, County of Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Historic Name: Excelsior Building / Martin's Block
Other Name: Iron Block (Promised Land Co.)
Reference No.: 16292
Year Built: 1860
Architecture Style: Italianate
Architect: George H. Johnson
Additional InformationA 'site file' (Iron Block) exists for this property. It contains additional information such as correspondence, newspaper clippings, or historical information. It is a public record and may be viewed in person at the State Historical Society, Division of Historic Preservation.

THE ONLY REMAINING BUILDING IN MILWAUKEE WITH A CAST IRON FACADE. HABS WI-251.

This building is also a contributing resource in the East Side Commercial Historic District (listed 9/23/86).

Milwaukee's only building with a cast iron facade. Possesses integrity of form and appearance with many of its original decorative elements extant.

Facades restored and interior rehabbed in 1984.
The foregoing content used with gracious permission of the Wisconsin Historical Society.

The property is listed on the State Register of Historic Places and (as of 12-27-1974) on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.

See also, Iron Block, also at this location.

 The marker is mounted to the facade, to the left of the north-side entrance.

 The north (to the left) and the west (to the right) sides of the building.

 The west side of the building.

 The west side of the building.

The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment