© Photographed October 9, 2014
Erected 2012 by the Cambria - Friesland Historical Society
in memory of W.J. "Chris" & Elizabeth "Betty" McConochie
Cambria, Columbia County, Wisconsin
43° 32.646′ N, 89° 6.498′ W
On this site in 1844, John Langdon & his four sons erected a sawmill, a dam & gristmill. Other early settlers by the names of McConochie, Dodge, Torbert, & Williams joined in construction. The original place name of Langdon's Mill, later became Florence, Belleville and finally Cambria.
The name Cambria is derived from the Welsh word Cymrie (meaning Wales) in honor of early settlement of the area by Welsh immigrants. The first group of Welsh people to come to this area left Liverpool, England on July 17, 1845. They were Robert Closs, David R. Jones, John R. Rowlands, Evan Edwards, Jabes Lloyd, E.B. Williams & John Edwards.
Cambria was the "Center" of the Welsh settlers in Columbia, Dodge & Green Lake Counties. The communities of Blaen-y-cae, Lake Emily, Proscairon, Rockhill, Portage Prairie & Welsh Prairie were established around Cambria.
The marker is located on a knoll above North Branch Duck Creek on southbound North Madison Street / Wisconsin Highway 146, between 1st Street / East 1st Street (to the north) and West Edgewater Street / East Edgewater Street / County Highway P (to the south), Cambria, Wisconsin 53923.
With North Branch Duck Creek in the background.
Looking north up North Madison Street.
Tarrant Lake is directly across from the marker location.