Columbus Public Library (1912)

© Photographed May 7, 2017
Columbus, Columbia County, Wisconsin
43.339044,-89.01594

COLUMBUS
PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Prairie Style Library was designed by Louis W. Claude (former associate of Louis Sullivan) and Edward F. Starck of Madison, Wisconsin, and built with funding from Andrew Carnegie and the Columbus Women's Club. The library was dedicated November 1, 1912. In 1990, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and became handicapped accessible with a new entrance.
The marker is located at the intersection of eastbound West James Street and southbound North Dickason Boulevard, on the grounds of the Columbia Public Library located at 223 West James Street, Columbus, Wisconsin 53925.

The library was built at a cost of $9,888.10. It has been in continual use since opening November 1, 1912. (According to The Inflation Calculator, what cost $9,888.10 would cost $235,137.45 in 2013.)

Wikipedia: Carnegie Library
A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. A total of 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in Britain and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, New Zealand, Serbia, the Caribbean, Mauritius, Malaysia and Fiji.
The foregoing text available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.

Wikipedia: List of Carnegie libraries in Wisconsin

History of Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Libraries

National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin: Columbia County

Paintings by Susan Stare and Other Historic Artifacts
Researched and Written by Alica L. Schmidt, this 64-page booklet is fabulous!
Produced 2012 by City of Columbus Historic Landmarks and Preservation Commission


The entrance to the library . . .


Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Library, Columbus, Wis.

Portrait of Andrew Carnegie at National Portrait Gallery (c. 1905)
This media file is in the public domain in the United States

 The building and marker are located in Columbus, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment