Borchert Field

Photographed October 26, 2014
Erected 2008 by Yesterday’s Negro League Baseball Players Foundation,
Milwaukee County Historical Society, and Milwaukee County Parks Department.
Sponsored by the Milwaukee Brewers.
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 4.456′ N, 87° 54.991′ W
Google Map

BORCHERT FIELD
Borchert Field, home to Milwaukee professional baseball for over 60 years, was located between W. Burleigh, W. Chambers, N. 7th, and N. 8th Streets. Known originally as Athletic Park when it opened on May 20, 1888, the ballpark hosted the major league Brewers in 1891, the minor league Brewers from 1902 to 1952, the Negro National League Bears in 1923, and the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League Chicks in 1944. Marquette University and the NFL’s Milwaukee Badgers and Green Bay Packers also played football at Borchert Field.

The rectangular wooden ballpark was renamed in 1927 following the death of Brewers owner Otto Borchert. It was the home field for such Hall of Famers as Al Simmons, Eddie Mathews, Bill Veeck, Casey Stengel, and Pete Hill, as well as Olympian Jim Thorpe. Milwaukee natives who played at Borchert field on their way to the majors included Happy Felsch, Joe Hauser, and Ken Keltner. Home runs often landed on porches across the street from the neighborhood ballpark, especially when Cooperstown legends such as Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, Stan Musial, Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson visited.

After completion of Milwaukee County Stadium and the arrival of the Braves in 1953, Borchert Field was demolished. Interstate 43 now passes through the site of Milwaukee’s longest-lived professional ballpark.
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker; see also, The Milwaukee Bears / Negro National League, 1923.

The marker is located at the northwest corner of Clinton Rose Park, located on northbound North 5th Street, at its intersection with West Burleigh Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53212.

Because Milwaukee was playing baseball long before 1953.

Wikipedia: Milwaukee Bears




View of marker from North 5th Street.

side two of the marker.


The southwest corner of the field, at the intersection
of North 5th Street and West Chambers Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment