William Rahr Monument

Dedicated December 11, 1926 by Knights of Pythias
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
44.085366,-87.655358

In memory of
WILLIAM RAHR
our city's benefactor.
Born, Sept. 17, 1834
Died, April 3, 1929
Erected by Knights of Pythias

This plaque is missing, but the boulder remains. It is located on northbound Lake Street, at its T-intersection with Hamilton Street, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.

DEDICATION HIGHLIGHTS:
This was the second Pythias monument dedicated on December 11, 1926. Charles Frazier presided and unveiled the marker. Lincoln High School band rendered musical selections. Attorney Albert L. Hougem eulogized Mr. Rahr. Supreme Chancellor R.S. White, Milwaukee, delivered the general address explaining the principles of the Pythias.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH:
William Rahr's father was born in Germany and came with the German migration in the later 1840's. He started the first brewery in Manitowoc in 1847 at the foot of Washington Street. Young William, born in 1854, attended the Manitowoc public schools, but at an early age took an active interest in his father's business. Upon his father's death in 1880, he and his brothers, Max and Reinhardt, formed the Wm. Rahr Sons Company malt and brewery business.

In 1900, William resigned as a stock holder and turned the business over to his brothers. Shortly thereafter, he began the plant of the Manitowoc Malting Company at the foot of South 20th Street, now the Wisconsin Malting Company. He also held interests in other business concerns in the city.

Mr. Rahr took an active interest in civic and community affairs, serving as mayor of the city on both the Democratic and Republican tickets. He was deeply interested in the Manitowoc Hospital for the insane and served as secretary of its Board of Directors for a long time.

The home of the Rahrs was located at the northeast corner of Hamilton and Lake Streets.
Source: Manitowoc County Historical Markers & Memorials published by Manitowoc County Historical Society, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 1964 (and sold for "fifty cents per copy"). Used with permission of the Manitowoc County Historical Society




No comments:

Post a Comment