Photographed September 28, 2014
Erected by From the Pineries to the Present Heritage Tourism Area
Wittenberg, Shawano County, Wisconsin
The Wittenberg Academy
The Wittenberg Academy was founded by a group of German and Norwegian Lutheran [sic], and operated from 1901-1913. The Academy enrolled young people aged 13-18. It provided a thorough Christian education as well as instruction in courses usually taught in high schools and business colleges.The Academy site has had a varied history. The Martin Luther Orphan Home utilized the site first, from 1885 to 1898. After the Academy closed in 1913 [sic] the Bethany Indian Mission used the facilities until 1917. In 1920, the building was put in to [sic] service for Homme Home for the Aged and became known as the Upper Home [sic] until the 1950's.Today the structure has been remodeled and is a private residence.
From the Pineries to the Present
Heritage Tourism Area
The marker is located on private property, on the southeast corner of the intersection of West College Avenue and South Home Street, at or near 800 South Home Street, Wittenberg, Wisconsin 54499.
NOTE: The marker is located on private property; please respect the private of the homeowners.
The marker is located on private property in Wittenberg, Wisconsin.