"The Legend of the Fountain"

Photographed September 13, 2014
Project of the Lake Geneva Beautification Committee
Lake Geneva, Walworth County, Wisconsin
 42.590211,-88.435901

"THE LEGEND OF THE FOUNTAIN"
In 2004 the Driehaus Family donated a replica of the New York City 1873 Angel of the Waters Fountain at Bethesda terrace in Central Park. Designed by Emma Stebbins, the winged female figure symbolized the purifying of the city's water supply when the Croton Aqueduct opened in 1842, bringing fresh water to all New Yorkers. For this reason she carries a lily, the symbol of purity in one hand while her other hand extends outward as she blesses the water below.
Project of the Lake Geneva Beautification Committee

The marker and fountain are located in front of the historic Riviera Ballroom in the heart of downtown Lake Geneva, at the intersection of Wrigley Drive and Broad Street, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin 53147.










Such a pretty fountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment