Saint Peter's Catholic Church

Photographed September 27, 2014
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society
Tilden (Chippewa Falls), Chippewa County, Wisconsin
45° 0.329′ N, 91° 26.295′ W

ST. PETER'S CATHOLIC CHURCH
In the early 1850's, settlers from Rhine, Bavaria, Bohemia, and Luxembourg came to this part of Wisconsin now known as Tilden Township. They vowed to build a church in honor of the "Blessed Virgin Mother of God" giving thanks for their safe voyage to the new country.

The first priest to the settlers in Tilden was Father Migneault in 1857. The next year he was succeeded by Father Smedding, who organized St. Peter's congregation. In 1860 he laid the foundation for a new church building.

A month after Bishop Michael Heis of LaCrosse confirmed a class of 55 children, he appointed Father A. Koke as the first resident pastor on July 31, 1869. That October, Parochial school classes began when father Franz Stoffel began teaching in the church. The School Sisters of Notre Dame arrived here on March 1, 1872.

In May 1875, a new St. Peter's Church resembling a miniature Roman basilica, was built on the present site. Father Joseph Reister had the present school building built in 1905.

Parishioners decided in 1941 that a new church was needed and the old structure was taken down. The present church building you are looking at was built and dedicated in 1942. St. Peter's has played a vital role in the spiritual life of this area as the congregation continues to worship and serve God.
The marker is located in front of St. Peter's Catholic Church on southbound County Highway Q, just south of its intersection with 114th Avenue, at 11358 County Highway Q, Chippewa Falls (Tilden), Wisconsin 54729.

This marker is No. 30 in a series of historical markers erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society.

See also, Saint Peter's Catholic Church Veterans Memorial, also at this location.









It's impossible to miss this impressive church!

Directly across the street -- yum, yum!!


No comments:

Post a Comment