Jean Brunet

Photographed September 26, 2014
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society
Cornell, Chippewa County, Wisconsin
45° 9.965′ N, 91° 9.324′ W

JEAN BRUNET
JEAN BRUNET is one of the most noteworthy pioneers of the Chippewa Valley. Born in France in 1791, Brunet immigrated to this country in 1818 and moved to Chippewa Falls in 1828. He built the first dams on the Chippewa River at Chippewa Falls and Brunet Falls which is now the City of Cornell. He was our first Judge and member of the legislature for Chippewa County when it met at what is called Burlington, Iowa. Brunet piloted the first raft of lumber from the Falls to Prairie du Chien and piloted the first steamboat up the river. He operated the first stopping place and portage at Cornell where he operated his business as a dealer in boats, oxen and logging supplies. Along the banks of the Chippewa River, he traded with the Indians and taught them to work iron and wood, and to worship God. As the great peace maker between the Indians and whites, he was loved and respected by the Indians as no other man before or since. Brunet's trading post was located on the west bank of the river just below the existing dam where he was often visited by Ezra Cornell who is credited as the founder of Cornell. Some of the remnants of the foundation may still be found. Brunet Falls, although not visible is located just north of the bridge. Brunet died in 1877 and is buried at Chippewa Falls. His wife is buried in the Estella cemetery southeast of Cornell.
The marker is located at the base of the Cornell Pulpwood Stacker (impossible to miss!) on wesybound Bridge Street / State Trunk Highway 64, just west of its intersection with Park Road, at the Cornell City & Visitor's Center at Cornell Mill Yard Park, 51 Bridge Street, Cornell, Wisconsin 54732.

Taken from a brochure created and researched by Bonnie Barry Selmer and Sue Hartzell

This marker is No. 41 in a series of historical markers erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society.

See also, Cornell Women's Club Tablet, a related marker at a nearby location.

The Jean Brunet marker is on the left.





 The Cornell Pulpwood Stacker also has a State historical marker,
and a Heritage sign.

No idea of the meaning behind this carving, but it is very cool!

The marker is located behind the Cornell Visitor Center.

Gorgeous nearby fall scenery at marker location.


View of the Cornell Pulpwood Stacker from Park Road.

 The marker is located at  Cornell Mill Yard Park.

 Cornell is proud of its pulpwood stacker!

No comments:

Post a Comment